16 Handy Tips to Prepare for JEE, NEET Exams
Every year, candidates appear for competitive exams like JEE Main and JEE Advanced, NEET etc. Out of them, only a few thousand make it to their dream college. Each child appearing for these exams works hard to achieve their goals, yet only a few emerge as toppers. What is it that sets the toppers apart from the other candidates? The answer to that question is a combination of smart and hard work.
Here are a few tips for NEET and JEE aspirants to score good marks:
1. Goal setting, planning and timely execution: First and foremost, a student must set a goal and make a study plan. Setting realistic goals is extremely important. The best. A strategy for any student is to work on their strengths. Planning is important, but the timely execution of that plan is equally significant.
2. Clarifying and understanding the basics is the key to achieving the desired marks, since most students end up neglecting the very foundation and later suffer from conceptual problems. Revising those basics regularly as well as understanding each and every concept is important, instead of relying on rote learning.
3. Focusing on NCERT books for JEE Main/NEET: NCERT Books are considered very useful for building a strong base of concepts and theories. Students must solve all NCERT exercise questions, and must not forget to go through the solved examples. It is especially important for NEET aspirants to study the Biology NCERT book thoroughly, as most of the questions in NEET are directly/indirectly from NCERT. The diagrams given in NCERT are very elaborative and informative. A thorough reading of the books as well as ample practice helps students to emerge meritorious.
4. Reference books/good study materials: Students need to go beyond NCERT to secure top ranks, especially in JEE Advanced, which is important for getting admission to a good college. For this, the students must choose the right study material and reference books.
5. Using the internet for assessing information: Nowadays, the Internet has proven to be a boon for NEET/ JEE aspirants. A lot of good educational content like short notes, video tutorials, flow charts are available free of cost.
6. Revise and re-revise: The more one revises, the easier it is to memorise. The exhaustive and repetitive revision will help students to remember concepts, important facts and formulas, enhance problem-solving skills and accuracy. Never let any questions be left uncleared. Clear those queries and doubts with teachers, friends etc.
7. Avoid comparison with others: Another important thing while preparing for any competitive exam is to refrain from comparing oneself to others and comparing progress and marks in mock tests. This may discourage a student and bring morale as well as confidence down.
8. Making personalised notes/flow charts using analogies will make it easier for students to understand and memorise the topic.
9. Joining a crash course for quick revision and test series might be beneficial and would help the students focus on their strong areas and understand their weaker concepts better.
10. Solving previous year’s question papers/multiple mock papers and their analysis: Students must attempt mock papers at regular intervals to test what they have already studied as well as thoroughly analyse the paper to figure out the weak areas and mistakes that need to be worked on.
11. Having a good understanding of exam patterns and unit-wise weightage is essential. Students should focus on the chapters that have more weight. Some chapters are very important from the examination point of view. Knowing the exam pattern will help them get an idea of the type of questions that usually appear in an exam.
12. No new topic before exam: Preparation before exams is very important but keeping a clear head during the last few days is also necessary. Students should avoid learning new topics merely a few days before the exam, but rather consolidate their strong topics.
13. Attempting the question paper strategically is extremely important, since it can drastically affect the result. Students should first attempt the questions they feel most confident about. The questions they find confusing should be left for attempting later on.
14. A healthy diet, good sleep and regular workout should be a part of the student’s day-to-day life, since it helps to increase their productivity. Getting a good night’s sleep on the day before the examination is crucial and would help the student be level-headed.
15. Be calm, stay positive, and keep yourself motivated: Taking the exams can be challenging and it’s important to stay calm, positive and keep oneself motivated. Students must not risk their mental health and well-being, since taking too much stress is rarely fruitful. Students must talk to their parents, teachers or friends when they feel discouraged. It is important to be determined and believe in oneself.
16. Restrict yourself from the use of social media as it can lead to distraction and may deviate you.
A strong grip over the basics and concepts followed by the correct plan and strategies is the key to cracking the exam of NEET, JEE Main and Advanced. Making a customized plan and following a well-framed, realistic and efficient plan religiously and diligently will help aspirants get into their dream college.
Ms. Sarita Khokhar,
HOD, Chemistry & Academic Coordinator XI-XII,
Seth Anandram Jaipuria School, Vasundhara, Ghaziabad.
Source – Indiatoday
Post Link – https://www.indiatoday.in/education-today/tips-and-tricks/story/16-handy-tips-to-prepare-for-jee-neet-exams-1891183-2021-12-23
Published on Dec 23, 2021